Dear Fellow Citizen, Effective January 1, 2011, the Georgia Legislature placed oversight and supervision of all county property tax appeal boards (called Board of Equalization) under the direction and authority of the Clerks of Superior Court. The Boards of Equalization (BOEs) are independent boards of your fellow citizens appointed by the Grand Jury of Muscogee County. What that means is that oversight, supervision and decision-making authority for property tax appeals is independent of the local government and the Board of Tax Assessors. My mission, and that of my staff, is to make sure that the appeal process of our county is carried out in a neutral, impartial and fair manner. I take this goal very seriously, as does my staff. We are dedicated to maintaining the integrity of an appeal process that exists to allow citizens an opportunity to appeal their tax assessments. However, it is important that you realize my office is responsible for making sure the process itself works fairly and efficiently. I have no input or authority in decisions made by the BOEs in your appeals. The authority to decide your case rests only with the BOE members themselves. The BOEs make decisions about whether your property value should be raised or lowered. The issue of whether your tax bill will also be adjusted is a separate issue involving the Muscogee County property tax freeze. For further information about the impact of the freeze on your tax bill, you can contact the Tax Assessor’s Office. This website is a work in progress and we hope, with your input and involvement, to improve the services and information provided in ways to make this process work even better for all parties. With best regards,

In accordance with O.C.G.A. 15-19-51, the Clerk’s Office is strictly prohibited from providing any legal advice. To ensure that all procedures are followed and the rights of all parties are protected, it is advised to seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney. Office Information Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM EST Phone: (706) 225-4350 Fax: (706) 653-4287 For more information please click here.